The Duke of Edinburgh is dead.
His demise was announced this morning, 9th April 2021 by the Palace via it’s verified twitter handle. He was aged 99.
The Palace said in a statement:
“It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen has announced the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle.”
“Further announcements will be made in due course.
“The Royal Family join with people around the world in mourning his loss.”
Prince Philip – who was often said to keep a firm grip over Royal Family affairs – retired from royal duties in 2017 aged 96.
Philip, who once described himself as the “world’s most experienced plaque unveiler”, was the longest-serving consort of a reigning British monarch.
He had been married to the Queen for 73 years and described as her constant Strength.
Philip’s death comes just weeks after he was taken to London’s King Edward VII Hospital on February 16 after feeling unwell.
Two weeks later, he was transferred to St Bart’s Hospital for treatment for an infection and heart condition.
Buckingham Palace then announced on Tuesday, March 16 he had been released from hospital and was in “good spirits” and “comfortable”.
Philip had dedicated his life to the Queen and tragically died two months and one day short of his 100th birthday in June this year.